Big Lots & Progressive Financial give Misleading information to have you pay $$$$
So I needed a new Twin mattress for a bed and decided to go to Big Lots buy the cheapest mattress and they were giving the boxspring for an additional 10. I went and asked a Big Lots representative if there was any fee or interest if payed before the 90 days advertised period.
He said no, then I asked for the details of the program. He basically read the small panflet which by the way only says what you need to get into it but never mentions any fee or interest details.
So I fill the application out and I get approved for $1650. My purchase was only $99 for mattress + $10 for box spring +$5 for a mattress cover I bought + tax. The representative just ran the amount through, never made me read any agreement or made me sign anything. Never told me what the total amount of the purchase was going to be. Then he said the system had calculated a payment of $6.41 cents as the initial payment there after was going to be $6.41 Each pay period. (Weekly in my case)
I asked him if I could increase that amount to pay sooner, he said I had to call progressive and have them do it. And that I was going to get all the details over the email at the email address I provided, and then he gave me the receipt.
We took the mattress but It all was not sounding good to me. First of all $6.41 was not enough to cover the around $125 purchase within the 90 day promotional period after which I was going to be paying interest at a rate I was never informed of.
Second, the receipt they gave me did not have the final amount for the sale just the items.
So I got home looked at my email ad went over the contract. Guess what in the contract the first statement said that on my purchase Progressive was going to charge an additional $50 to my bill. So instead of financing $116.99+tax I was financing $166.99 +tax.
Second thing is that the payment they had calculated for $6.41 a week was meant to spread the amount in 53 payments plus incurred interest. To end up paying a total of: $339.73 tax included for a purchase of $116+tax. That is 3 times the amount. UNBELIEVABLE.
Then I decided to create an account online and see what my options were there.
I log in and it says
Early Payoff Amount: $172.27
Total Balance: $311.29
We decided to just go back return everything. Honestly I think this is a very elaborated way to trick you into paying such high interest.
1. No final amount in the receipt: I had in my mind it was about 115 + tax. If I didn't read the contract carefully because it is written to confuse you then I would have not noticed they were charging me an extra $50.
2. They didn't let me review the agreement before committing.
3. The agreement never states numbers you actually have to read the numerals to see the amounts.
4. The automatic payment didn't add up to pay the purchase within the 90 days.
If you are ok paying all these fees I guess it is a convenient small payment but in the end you pay way too much. Just make sure you ask all the right questions about the purchase and ask to see the agreement before leaving.
I am attaching a photo of the agreement so you can see what I am talking about.
PS. As I post this link I see in the FAQ section they do mention that the default payment is set up to be payed over one year. And also that there is a 10% finance fee. In my case the representative at Big Lots never mentioned any of these items, neither was it in the panflet and even then my $50 dollars.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Not as described
- Product or service
- Big Lots Furniture Leasing
- Review category
- Supermarkets and Malls
You May Also Like
- "At Walmart on Fallbrook in Woodland Hills, Ca. I have to bag my own things as the checker just stands their. The check stand in the back is..."
- "...The carts are piled with boxes higher than the shelves and you can't get to anything behind it because they are to dang heavy to move to get to what..."
- " I purchased a gold necklace for my Husband at the Walmart in North Las Vegas, located at 1807 West Craig Road, phone number is (702) 633-6521. It cost..."
- "Ordered a ugly Xmas sweater on December 14. By Christmas I emailed to try to cancel the order since it clearly wasn't going to arrive before Xmas and was told..."
- "Zazzle - you can take the order, promise the due date of the order BUT - you don't do what you say you will do and to make matters worse..."
- "We purchased the edge royalist 5th wheel a year ago October. Our first problem started 2 weeks after we purchased it. The roof on the slide out leaked like a..."
- "Abdul "Jack" Rifai is a *** man who owned Century Motors until 2009. When I was forced to file a lawsuit against him, he closed up shop and robbed..."
- "I am an ex-employee for EcoWater Systems, and I wrote this letter years ago but was unable to find proper resolution to my issues and believe posting it here may..."
- "There was recently a woman who was fundraising on Youcaring.com claiming to be unable to work due to intense pain as the result of surgery. She raised $1911.00 through the..."